Saturday, January 31, 2009

Homeworking

From Warner Bros. upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: An example of a bad leader-to-be.

New verb. Do you like it? So here I am, being good and reading Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence by Goleman, Boyattzis and Annie McKee. I've already done everything else I have to do for this class for Monday. Anyway, I'm trundling along, reading the preface and learning that the book grew out of columns in the Harvard Business Journal, and learning that you should be nice to people, not yell at them, and not be negative if you want anything to get done. And then, I stumbled across this in Chapter 2:

"Such leaders have an emotional impact a bit like that of the 'dementors' in the Harry Potter series, who 'drain peace, hope, and happiness from the air around them.' " This is follwed by a superscript 7, which lead me to a reference of: 7. Dementors: J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (London, Bloomsbury, 1999) 187.

So there you go, reading YA fantasy is helping me learn not to suck peoples' souls out. Thanks, Harvard Press!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

hahaha. That's great!