Friday, January 09, 2009

December Playlist


Ok, so I sucked at blogging in December. Fortunately, I think everyone else sucked as well, for the same reasons I did. Lots of family, friends in from out of town, skiing, etc. I tend to live a lot in December - it's my favorite month of the year, despite the lack of light. And don't worry - one of my New Year's resolutions is to post more regularly to this blog, and also to send out a mass e-mail informing people that it actually exists. At which point, you'd all better periodically comment so I know it's worthwhile to keep writing!

Alright, here are the songs:

1. Hello Dolly "Put on Your Sunday Clothes"
Various Artists - Hello, Dolly! - Put On Your Sunday Clothes
Great song from a musical full of great songs. Further immortalized by Wall-E.

2. Pat Benatar "We Belong"
Pat Benatar - Greatest Hits - We Belong
My favorite arrangement of this song is in a Sheraton Commercial from two years ago. But the original is good too.

3. Newton Faulkner "Gone in the Morning"
Newton Faulkner - Hand Built By Robots - Gone In the Morning
So so catchy. Fantastic lyrics like "I'm gonna master all kinds of kung fu/I'm gonna live inside a tiny zoo/ I'm gonna grow myself a giant afro - incredible."

4. Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
Barenaked Ladies & Sarah McLachlan - A Winter's Night - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
I decided not to do a whole playlist of Christmas songs, although, trust me, that would have been easy. This one I wanted to throw in because it's new to me and sort of jazzy. Hurray for syncopation!

5. Chuck Berry "You Never Can Tell"
Chuck Berry - Pulp Fiction - You Never Can Tell
Quentin Tarantino has fantastic taste in music. This song also makes me think of a Gilmore Girls episode . . .

6. The White Stripes "We're Going to Be Friends"
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells - We're Going to Be Friends
I have this habit of loving maybe 1-5 songs from an artist or group and kind of hating everything else. I don't think I like most of The White Stripes, but this song is amazing.

7. Taylor Swift "Fifteen"
Taylor Swift - Fearless - Fifteen
Cat introduced me to Taylor, and now I love her. And have redeveloped my complex over not having been a child prodigy. I figure I have time to do something showy though - just look at Grandma Moses!

8. Neil Patrick Harris "My Freeze Ray"
Neil Patrick Harris - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture) - My Freeze Ray
Oh, Neil. Why are you gay? WHY??? *ahem* Any song about a crush that has the lyrics "You make me feel/what's the phrase/ like a fool/ kind of sick/ special needs/ anyway . . . " is getting it right.

9. Edward Sanders and Helena Bonham Carter "Not While I'm Around"
Edward Sanders & Helena Bonham Carter - Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (The Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Not While I'm Around
I saw Sweeney Todd last year around the New Year, and so in the days around New Year this year I kept singing this to myself. Mostly in the shower. I've come to realize that my brain definitely knows what time of year it is and pulls up memories from past years right on cue - weird.

10. Sara Bareilles "Love Song"
Sara Bareilles - Little Voice - Love Song
This is probably one of my favorite songs of 2008. She wrote it about her recording company (thank you my Sarah B. for that tidbit) and it totally changes the meaning of the song when you know that.

11. Amy Winehouse "You Know I'm No Good"
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black - You Know I'm No Good
Oh Amy, if you had no talent this whole destructive downward spiral would not be nearly as tragic.

12. Basement Jaxx "Red Alert"
Basement Jaxx - Remedy - Red Alert
Caught Bend it Like Beckham on TV and reconfirmed that it an awesome movie. Note to self: watch Match Point ASAP.

13. Jesse McCartney " Leavin' "
Jesse McCartney - Departure - Leavin'
Dear Jesse,
Despite your inability to buy me a drink on a date, I will still go out on one with you. Etc.
Loves,
L

14. Natasha Bedingfield "Unwrittten"
Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten - Unwritten
Yes yes, I know it's the The Hills song, whatever, I like it.

15. Morton Lauridsen "Les Chanson des Roses: No. 5 Dirait-on
Chamber Choir Of Europe, Morten Lauridsen & Nicol Matt - Lauridsen: O Magnum Mysterium - Les Chansons des Roses: No. 5. Dirait-on
First heard this when one of my high school choir directors had the senior choir perform the piece. The lyrics are a base on a Rilke poem. Very calming and uplifting all at once.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Hey, how do you do that link stuff to itunes? Do you need an app?