Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tracking Packages

"But now, says the Once-ler, Now that you´re here, the word of the Lorax
seems perfectly clear. Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not."

So, I have ordered all of my textbooks for the semester and actually have most of them in hand. I was able to get four of them used and had to buy three new, which was frustrating, because I like to save money and trees. Trees are shady and clean the air and are very nice, except when you run into them with a car or on skis, or even sometimes just walking, like my dad did with his head the other week. But still, I think chopping them down to make books is not so good, even though I love books.

Anyway, one of the outstanding ones is a big law casebook on Environmental Law, which I'm super excited to read, because I am a dork like that. I keep getting told by my professors that everything I say or suggest "is really policy" and I'm like, you betcha it is, just wait until I get all of this into law and it RULES OUR LIVES. So, this book of case law is on its way and has guaranteed 3 day delivery. Thank you B&N.

Here's what it's done so far:

I feel sort of badly for it that it's spent a significant time of its little book life in New Jersey and is now apparently taking a tour of the state. However, I will feel even sorrier for myself if it does not come on Thursday, because I have some catchup reading to do. Not to mention redesigning Natural Resource law and giving Environmental Health law some teeth. Dear manufacturers of the world, does the phrase "cradle-t0-cradle" make your timbers shiver?

Quick overview of classes:

Leadership and Ethics, School of Public Affairs, studying adaptive leadership, professor uses lots of clips (eg. scenes from Patton, Gandhi, and Obama's inaugural - hey, is the word inaugural related to the word augury?). Starting out by studying Ernest Shackleton, Victorian dude who lost his ship to Antarctic pack ice and proceeded to get himself and all 27 of his men out alive. I keep getting distracted because I have a hunch he was kind of cute in person.

Sustainable Land Use Planning, School of Architecture and Planning, doing all projects and research around advising the City of Aurora on incorporating sustainability elements into their revision of the city's comprehensive plan. I will be focusing on, what else, concrete ways to lower emissions, increase energy efficiency, etc. ie., policy.

Natural Resource and Environmental Health Law, a class I am super excited about. We're looking at both together because they're generally treated separately but of course the environment doesn't work like that. I like this professor's style A LOT. He is cool. I want to be him. Only without the bit where he served as a combat medic in Vietnam.

No comments: