Monday, February 02, 2009

Excerpts from GChat - Mixolydian



10:39 AM Jennifer: oh. my. gosh. I have to tell you about the toy we saw at Babies 'R Us
it was one of those glockenspiel type toys
10:40 AM and I've been wanting to get one of those for James
and it was a cool one because you could hit it with the mallet, but it was also attached to a keyboard so you could play it that way
10:41 AM I totally thought we were going to buy it...and then I hit the "ti" key
me: ooh, nice
and?
Jennifer: the leading tone was a full half step flat!!
me: what
that is beyond stupid
Jennifer: it was like...do, re, mi, fa, so, la, TAY, do!
me: how was it supposed to be a ti, then?
10:42 AM it couldn't lead anywhere!
Jennifer: I was like, you've got to be kidding me
and it wasn't just a bad egg...all of them were the same!
I couldn't believe it
10:43 AM shocked and appalled
me: they just straight up tuned them all wrong?
10:44 AM Jennifer: I guess!
it showed up in my nightmare that night
me: hahahaha
Jennifer: in my dream I was going to complain about it online but then I read somewhere that it was intentional
10:45 AM that they were encouraging children to learn both major and minor tonalities, and they were doing that by having a major tetrachord followed by a minor one
so I couldn't even complain about it!
me: hahahahaha
Jennifer: even though that's still ridiculous...even if it were true
me: dorkiest dream EVER
Jennifer: yeah well ;)
10:46 AM me: definitely going on my blog
oh snap
Jennifer: stealing my material, huh? ;)
jk
me: hey, you'll get full credit
Jennifer: oh joy
ha ha
10:47 AM which mode is that? I can't remember
it's the one before aeolian
me: a major followed by a minor?
Jennifer: a scale with a lowered 7th
10:48 AM me: the funny one
that sounds middle eastern?
hmmmm
Jennifer: brb...
I'm gonna google it when I get back
10:50 AM me: k
10:51 AM Jennifer: mixolydian
the dang toy was in mixolydian mode
me: yes!
yes
10:52 AM now that's just wrong
Jennifer: there's just no reason for that
me: we're in America!
Jennifer: no possible justification
me: nope


1 comment:

Jennie said...

You cut out the part where you called the thing child abuse. ;)

Ah, good times.