Sunday, October 26, 2008

NaNoWriMo Cometh

Yes, that's write (haha - *cough*) I am once again diving into the fray. 50,000 words in 30 days. How hard can it be, really? I can definitely write 1,667 words a day in November. Heck, Thanksgiving ALONE could equal several cornbread stuffing and pecan pie-fueled chapters. Every book I have ever read on writing says that the main obstacle to creating something shiny and gemlike is failing to put anything on paper in the first place. Especially if you have some basic grasp of the English language, which I so do.

Also, I have an ace up my sleeve this year. Two aces. Their names are: Peter Terry and Jennie Peterson. Haha! Didn't expect to see that, did you Jennie? Let me 'splain. Peter will be encouraging me by churning out depressing and awe-inspiring quantities of words daily, thus causing me to feel guilty and inferior, which I will work hard to channel into feeling competitive, and I will then write lots too. I will not give into the urge to channel my inferiority into getting a pedicure and reading the latest issue of Vogue. That will not do. Rather, I will dive headfirst into novel-land and create something enchanting.

Now Jennie will be helping because she has WON the position of moderator and browbeater on the private writing blog Peter and I are going to start! So exciting! There were many qualified applicants, but she took the cake. Her duties will include dreaming up clever writing assignments (eg. describe your character's joints and how they function in detail; what was your villain's 7th birthday like; do a 30 minute sprint session in which you detail your character's ideal mate; etc.). Now, I have a feeling Jennie is going to actually kind of love this, because my current plans call for Peter and I to do all of our writing inside Google documents and give permissions for each other and Jennie to read along. Scary, but it will mean accountability, and Jennie can then think up fun assignments for us to do. Note: "figure out what happens next" and "finish your book" are invalid assignments. Also, I figure this will appeal to her inner secretary and teacher personalities.

I'm excited. Woohoo NaNoWriMo!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

TOTALLY didn't see that coming! Ha ha! Sounds like fun to me! I'm so up for it. Do I get a special nameplate or something? ;)