Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sorry sorry, I'll be better


Apologies to stalkers and friends alike - I'll be better, I swear. In early December I got a full-time job doing alumni relations. I'm learning a lot of things that are great to know now and will be useful later on too, and the people I work with are wonderful, smart, nice people. Yay! I feel lucky. However, I have still been teaching LSAT test prep a few nights a week and also added in some weight training classes to attempt to get in shape for June, so the blog, along with a lot of other things, got pushed to the back burner. Show me some love if you appreciate that I'm writing again. :-)

I just finished Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, and I enjoyed it. It's a quick, easy read, but it hits hard. I pulled my copy of The New Lifetime Reading Plan back out and I'm working through it from modern to ancient this time - I got caught in the middle of the Greek tragedies and just started skipping around to what I felt like reading last go around. I can only read so many tragic plays in a row before going crazy. Next up I'll be re-reading One Hundred Years of Solitude and on like that until I loop back toward the plays . . . Here's the Amazon page for it. click "Search Inside" to read the table of contents. I can do it! I just hope I don't get bogged down in translations - you can always tell when something has been translated, and I swear that the better the book is in the original language the more grating it is.

What else . . . I found some podcasts called Coffee Break Spanish (I've decided to learn as much as possible before going to Peru), and the guy who talks on them is Scottish and sounds sooooo hot. Oh my. Note to self: travel to Scotland and sit on trains with eyes closed a lot. I'm also trying to find a language buddy who wants some English grammar or writing or help with something else, and they can teach me how to say "I've stuck a pencil in my eye! Where is the hospital?" and useful things like that in Spanish.

The pic is of my back deck after the first big blizzard!

1 comment:

eLove - pdx said...

golly gee, lady. i even put you as a link on my webpage! and then you didn't update very regularly. so i was worried. peru? are you just going there for your out-or-america experience? are you going to do lots of mountain climbing?

if you haven't checked out my new page, you should it's loads better.

http://homepage.mac.com/elovepdx

oh, it's good to have you back in the blogosphere.

heart,
ernesto